by John Brian Shannon
Some nations are replacing retiring workers with robots at an accelerating pace — and for good reason.
In Germany, this is an absolute necessity as a huge pool of German workers are approaching retirement and there aren’t nearly enough Germans to replace them. Germany imports (low) millions of workers from Turkey and the MENA nations, but Germany still can’t keep up with the demand for labour in their export-driven economy.
What’s a country to do? Phone all their export customers and tell them they can’t produce all the widgets they ordered? Not the German way!
So, I understand, precisely, the position of the Germans and agree with their moral reasoning and their necessary choice.
While at the same time, I worry about other nations (us) making a massive shift to robotics – for very different reasons, and none of them moral — causing workers (who are human beings, after all) to become redundant while concentrating evermore billions into the hands of the infamous 1% of the population.
A switch to robots to improve the bottom line could become a threat to millions of workers in the coming decades and might become the most profound, social issue since the 1960′s anti-war movement.
Replacing retiring workers with robots (as is the case with Germany now) is a moral decision, which was made to ensure the German economy does not falter and thereby harm large numbers of citizens.
In this case, it is a completely understandable and moral decision, one that benefits vast numbers of German citizens.
Replacing presently-employed workers with robots so that 1% of the U.S. population can make more profit is an immoral decision, which will allow the 1% to keep evermore of the U.S. money supply for themselves at the expense of the other 99% of the population.
In this case, it is not understandable, nor is it a moral decision – as it primarily benefits 1% of citizens over 99% of citizens.
It will come down to this, will we assure human rights for American citizens who want jobs and want to contribute to their nation’s economy, or will we favour a small number of people (the 1%) who want more, more, more, for themselves?
Who is America in business for? The 1% or the 99% of American citizens? It is a political, economic and social decision that voters will need to make in the next election cycle.
Or, put another way, should 3.1 million citizens have near total employment and economic control over 315 million citizens? [315,091,138 U.S. Census Bureau Jan 1, 2013 estimate]
Unfortunately, the 1% may be holding all the cards by the time a full conversation can occur and by the time the masses fully realize this, it may be far too late to do anything about it.
There is a better way. Read the Financial Post‘s “Employee compensation is an integral part of corporate culture” by Marty Parker, for one shining example of a better way. While just the tip of the iceberg, this one example could foreshadow a quiet and heart-warming revolution, one that benefits workers and corporations, while strengthening the very fabric of our Western society.
- Germany’s looming skills shortage (jbsnews.com)
This gallery contains 1 photo.