Washington, D.C. — Union Station Now Powered by 100 Percent Wind Energy | 15/04/13
by John Brian Shannon
Union Station Goes 100% Wind Power
Union Station has signed a three-year contract for 100 percent WGES CleanSteps® WindPower from Herndon-based Washington Gas Energy Services (WGES).
One of the nation’s premier, historic transportation hubs, Union Station previously used 50 percent WGES CleanSteps® WindPower for its electricity needs.
“Reducing our environmental impact is a key priority for Union Station and using renewable wind energy greatly aids us in decreasing our carbon footprint.
As one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world, Union Station’s switch to wind energy through Washington Gas Energy Services is an important milestone in its history and a great opportunity to inform visitors about wind energy’s viability for businesses of all sizes.” — Roy Staeck, vice president of business development for Union Station
Month-long InteractiveEvent at Union Station
Union Station is hosting Earth Month 2013, a month-long event throughout April featuring interactive, eco-friendly experiences designed to raise awareness of environmental issues and encourage sustainability. Presented by Earth Day Network and the Premier Tourist and Landmark Association, this event will reach the more than 100,000 visitors who travel through Union Station’s doors each day. As an event sponsor, Washington Gas Energy Services will educate attendees about how they can reduce the environmental impact of their energy use through carbon offsets and wind power.
Calculate Your Carbon Foot Print
No matter where you are in the world, you can measure your carbon foot print here.
How to get Green Energy Working for You!
In the District of Columbia, http://www.wges.com.and Pennsylvania, businesses, organizations, government entities, institutions and individual residents can purchase their electricity and natural gas supply from retail energy providers. Customers in Virginia may purchase natural gas and customers in Delaware may purchase electricity from retail energy providers. To learn more about WGES and its CleanSteps® products, visit
- Washington, DC government agencies to run 100% renewable energy (jbsnews.com)
- Wind Energy Update: Foundation Costs Top List of Industry Focus Points (prweb.com)
- D.C. government eyes wind for a third of its electricity supply (bizjournals.com)
- Wind power surpasses Nuclear in China (jbsnews.com)
- Using wind power, Audi aims for carbon neutral motoring (reviews.cnet.com)
- Washington, D.C.’s Union Station Now Powered by 100 Percent Wind Energy Provided by Washington Gas E (dailyfinance.com)
- Which States are Getting Wind Energy Right? (cleantechies.com)